Saturday 22 September 2012

I've got a bit of a crate love.


The sight of an old wooden crate at a garage sale just makes me swoon a little bit. I love the rustic appeal and $1-$2 price tag attached. Every time I see a nice little wooden crate I can't help but take it home and turn into into something. 
You've seen my crate turned strawberry pot so today I thought I'd share two other ways I have used crates. 


Crates make the best storage. I have one outside for recycling cans and bottles, one in the shed for holding all our sports equipment and the above in the house for holding all the kiddie toys we own -for when little visitors come and we need to find something to entertain them with. And doesn't everything just sound so much sweeter in French? I thought I'd paint a little 'the kids' label but 'les enfants' just sounds so much better to me.

crate bookshelf
I found three crates. Two were roughly the same size and one was slightly bigger. I attached them using screws and voila, my own rustic looking bookshelf. It's the perfect mini bookshelf and adds a bit of interest to a small corner spot. It's reasonably sturdy and was such a quick project but I love the end result.

I' ve still got a few more crates in the shed so I'm dreaming up more ideas. It's the start of school holidays today which is an awesome time for every teacher out there. I can't wait to share the huge number of projects I've got going in my shed (now I have some time to finish them)!
But for now I'm going to sit back drink chai and enjoy this beautiful spring day.

Do you have any great ideas for using old crates?

6 comments:

  1. The bookshelf is my absolute favourite of these - it's such a great idea and it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bookshelf is my favourite crate use too.
      L x

      Delete
  2. I love crates too. I am using two in the garden as a vegetable garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. Maybe i should start a little crate vegie garden too :)
      @
      L x

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I'm on the hunt for crates now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, i hope you have lots of success finding crates :)
      L x

      Delete