Sunday 12 May 2013

Sock fun.



I'm making sock puppets with my class for design and technology. I wasn't sure about the best way to get a whole bunch of nice socks without spending much when one of the lovely ladies at the local op shops said they'd had a lot of socks donated in great condition and I was welcome to grab as many as I needed for a few dollars. I got enough socks for 40+ kids and gave them a wash. 

Speaking of washing...
About four weeks ago our washing machine started making the most awful bashing sound. I called in the repairman and sadly found out our machine wasn't able to be fixed. We've both been so busy so we skimmed a few local catalogs for machines but it all seemed a little bit too much to think about.Then a friend told us they were getting a new larger machine and we could have theirs for hardly anything. We jumped at the opportunity and now have a washing machine again. Hello clean clothes! It was such a good reminder of how God provides for us and when everything seems a little too much (and an appliance breaking adds extra stress), we were cared for and have what we need. I also thrifted the cute "soak bucket" at a recent garage sale- doesn't everything look cuter in labelled containers?
After washing the socks I realised I had a few more than needed and decided to make a sock monkey. I've seen them before all over pinterest and they looked so cute and easy. I decided a spotty pair would make the perfect little monkey.
 To make a sock monkey you need:
1 pair of socks
Thread and needle
Stuffing 
2 buttons
2 small felt circles*
1 small rectangle of red fabric*
*optional- I had them lying around and I liked the extra touch it added.
I used this tutorial and I also really liked this how to cut the sock picture.
I think the end result is very cute and would definitely make more in the future for gifts.

4 comments:

  1. He is darling! Love the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is too cute! What a fun fun sock monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love sock monkeys!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://www.usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/05/submarine-sunday-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my cuteness! I need a sock monkey! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete